Government Announces Economic Stability Dividend for 2017

cupe4163 bargaining

In the last round of provincial public sector bargaining, which included CUPE 4163,  the BC Liberal government, in an attempt to soften the optics of a forced 5.5% wage increase settlement, promised an “Economic Stability Dividend”. Here is the explanation from the contract settlement:

“Employees will receive a general wage increase (GWI) equal to one-half (1/2) of any percentage gain in real GDP above the forecast of the Economic Forecast Council for the relevant calendar year.”

On Nov. 29, the Ministry of Finance announced the Economic Stability Dividend for this year will be 0.35 per cent.

This means that on March 1, 2017, component 3 members will have the 0.35% added to the scheduled 1% general wage increase (for a total increase of 1.35%) , and on July 1, 2017, Components 1 and 2 member will have the same 1.35 %  increase.