Component 3 Resources

Useful Information

Professional Development Funds

Continuing Sessional Lecturer Benefits 

Sessional Lecturers’ access to Netlink & Moodle

Useful Information

New Members

Term Sessional Lecturers, Continuing Sessional Lecturers, Music Performance Instructors, and Practicum Supervisors are invited to attend a Sessional Lecturer’s Information Session once in the fall and spring terms. These sessions have been touted as very informative, no matter what your experience level and an opportunity to network with colleagues. the University supplies food and beverages but unfortunately the time attending these sessions is not paid by the University.  Please check the homepage for social and other events for Component 3 members and CUPE4163 members generally

Employment Insurance and ROEs

Most CUPE 4163 members are hired on a term-by-term basis. As a result, we get a number of questions around whether our members are eligible to receive Employment Insurance (EI) if they are not rehired for a term.

Am I eligible to receive EI?

If you are not rehired after your current term of appointment ends, you may be eligible for EI. In order to receive EI, you must have worked at least the required insurable hours in the 52 weeks prior to the termination of your employment. The insurable hours required are based on the unemployment rates in the region in which you live. Currently, for the Victoria region 53 (including all of the Capital Regional District), the number of insured hours required to qualify for regular EI benefits is 700 hours (Jan- Feb 2017). Please note, if you live outside of the CRD, the qualifying hours may be different.

If you are not reappointed for the next term, you will receive a Record of Employment (ROE) from the University. The ROE will show the number of insurable hours you have in the previous 52 weeks, as well as your earnings for the most recent 27 weeks prior to the termination of your employment. Note that if you are fired for just cause or if you quit, you are not usually eligible for EI benefits. However EI does give you an opportunity to provide your version of events

How do I determine my insurable hours?

For the Winter Session (Fall and Spring terms), a full-time workload for Sessional Lecturers is considered to be 4.5 units per term. A Sessional Lecturer working a full-time workload is credited with 36 hours per week towards EI qualification. Each 1.5 unit course during the Winter Session is equal to 12 hours per week for EI purposes.

In the Summer Session, the number of hours will depend on the length of the course. For “A”, “J”, “P”, and “Q” courses (approximately 3.5 weeks), a 1.5 unit course is considered full-time, equalling 36 hours per week. For “M” and “R” courses (approximately 7 weeks), 1.5 units is considered half-time, or 18 hours per week. “K” courses are treated like their counterparts in the Winter Session.

How much EI will I receive?

Generally, EI benefits are 55% of your average weekly earnings for the most recent 22 weeks (number of weeks for Victoria region)prior to the termination of your employment, up to a maximum $543. per week.

The length of time for which you can receive EI benefits varies, depending on your region and the number of insurable hours you have. For example, in Victoria, you can receive benefits for a minimum of 14 weeks (for 700 insurable hours) to a maximum of 36 weeks (more than 1820 insurable hours).

Besides offering EI benefits for people who are out of work, there are also EI programs for Maternity, Parental or Sickness benefits, and for Compassionate Care benefits. For more information, or to fill out a claim for EI benefits, contact your local Service Canada Centre (federal government offices), or check out Government Canada website

Latest Collective Agreement:

2019-2022 Component 3 COllective Agreement

Continuing Sessional Extended Health Benefits

Quick Reference Guide to Extended Health & Dental Benefits

Continuing Sessional Lecturer Benefits Handbook

Continuing Sessional Scholarship Fund


To provide financial support to Continuing Sessional Lecturers who choose to participate in any of a range of professional development activities including, but not limited to, academic conferences related to the scholarship of teaching and learning in their discipline.


A standing Joint Committee will be established comprising two representatives from the University and two representatives from CUPE 4163, Component 3. The Committee will receive and review applications for professional development funds and allocate funds in accordance with the criteria and procedures set out in these guidelines.


The per person maximum is $1,500 per sessional assignment year (May 1 to April 30) which may be split across more than one event. Funding is available for up to a maximum of $1,500 if the applicant is presenting a paper or poster, or is a panel discussant, at a professional development event. The maximum for simply attending a professional development event and for other professional development activities is $ 750 .–teaching-scholarships

(2017)Term Sessional Lecturer Professional Development Fund

Note: details of the 2019 updates to the Term pro-d fund will be posted soon–teaching-scholarships

Sessional Lecturers’ access to Netlink & Moodle

To: CUPE 4163- Component 3 Members

From: Leann Dawson

Date: April 25, 2013

Re: Term Sessional Access to Net Link/Moodle

As a follow up to several questions raised by CUPE members holding Term Sessional positions, Matthew Koch, Vice –President Component 3, hosted an inaugural meeting of the ad-hoc Term Sessional Committee April 4, 2013.

A list of questions and concerns related to issues of concerns specific to Term Sessional members was developed.

Matthew, Greg Melnechuk, President CUPE 4163, and I met with Steve Gorham, UVic Director of Labour Relations on a variety of Labour Management Committee issues.  As a result of the meeting we have received information regarding access to Net Link and various other Administrative Systems such as FAST, Banner, View Cat and Moodle, which are accessed through Net Link:

The general rule is that Net Link can be available for up to 60 days prior to an appointment becoming effective. For instance, if a department has put through an appointment for you effective September 1st, then you have access to Net Link on July 1st (or thereabouts). This assuming the appointment is actually into payroll before July 1st. Once appointed to UVic, the Net Link access is normally active for 1 year from the end of the appointment. So, a Term Sessional who teaches in the fall term should remain on Net Link through the following summer and into the next fall.

Aside from general Net Link access, there is the question of the various Administrative Systems such as FAST, Banner, View Cat and Moodle, which are accessed through Net Link.  Access to these Administrative Systems, are for the most part managed, at the department level. A Sessional will need the academic unit they are associated with to “turn on” their Moodle access – if that is the Admin system they are intending to work on.

One final point, if the 60 days is too tight a time frame for someone who doesn’t already have Net Link access by dint of their appointment in the prior year, there is an option for a department to “sponsor”– and take responsibility for, an affiliate access to Net Link for someone prior to the 60 days. The web page where a department can do this is 

I trust the forgoing information is useful for those of you who have been having difficulty with accessing Net Link in advance of the beginning of the Term.  Please don’t hesitate to contact our offices if you wish to discuss any issues or concerns.

Technology Enterprise Facility Room 217   University of Victoria,      Box 1700 Stn. CSC,  Victoria BC V8W 2Y2       250-472-4778     250-853-3863