Component 1 Resources

Conference Award Fund

Through collective bargaining back in 2012, CUPE 4163 and the University of Victoria created a conference fund to support CUPE 4163 Component 1 members in their professional and/or academic pursuits.   MORE INFORMATION

Hardship Fund

The Hardship Fund is available to CUPE local 4163 Component 1 members who have experienced a recent, unexpected hardship that resulted in an unexpected financial shortage. This fund exists to assist members who are experiencing an unexpected expense that leaves them in financial hardship. The fund is allocated to cover expenses to a maximum of $500 and funding is at the discretion of the Hardship Committee.  MORE INFORMATION


Every year the union does orientations for Teaching Assistants in all of the departments at UVic. It is strongly recommended that all TAs attend these 1/2 hour paid sessions. It is here that you will learn about your collective agreement, your rights as a worker and also your responsibilities.

Did you miss your departmental orientation? Contact us for alternative arrangements.

Component 1 Orientation (2016)

Every year the union also does an orientation for staff who work for Student Computing Facilities.

T.A. Mid-Term Review Information

Mid-term reviews were designed to prevent you from working more hours than you are paid. They are an important part of your responsibility as a Teaching Assistant, and help prevent problems before they start.

Three Steps to filling out the form (Updated form:

Fillable form: Sample Checklist of Assigned Duties CUPE 4163 2023 (fillable)

1. At the beginning of the term your supervisor fills out the “Initial” column under the heading “Hours” with the expected breakdown of your TAship. The “Day/Dates” column should also be filled out (see footnotes on the form for more details). If there is self-scheduled work (i.e., no set time or day) enter “SS” for “self-scheduled” in this column. Sign the form.

2. Keep track of the number of hours you work and the duties you performed (e.g., number of hours teaching, marking, doing email correspondence with students, etc.).

Remember you are entitled by law to a 15 minute paid break for every 3.5 consecutive hours of scheduled work you perform, or a 20 minute paid break for every 2 consecutive hours of teaching. Please note that if you are teaching a lab of more than 2 hours, you will not be able to leave the lab for a break. Instead, when you are documenting your hours, you should record 2 hours and 20 minutes.

3. At about mid-term, fill out the “mid-term” column of the form with the number of hours that you have worked to date. Meet with your supervisor and sign the form.

If the bulk of your work is after the mid-term review, then give your best guess as to the average number of hours that you will work per duty for the term.

If you have any questions or concerns about the mid-term review or anything related to your work as a Teaching Assistant, please call the union office.
T.A. Mid-Term Review – Article 14.03(f)

Employment Insurance and Record of Employment (ROE)

Most CUPE 4163 members are hired on a term-by-term basis. As a result, we get a number of questions around whether  members are eligible to receive Employment Insurance (EI) if they are not rehired for a term.

Am I eligible to receive EI?

If you are not rehired after your current term of appointment ends, you may be eligible for EI. In order to receive EI, you must have worked at least the required insurable hours in the 52 weeks prior to the termination of your employment. The insurable hours required are based on the unemployment rates in the region in which you live. Currently, for the Victoria region 53 (including all of the Capital Regional District), the number of insured hours required to qualify for regular EI benefits is 700 hours (Jan- Feb 2017). Please note, if you live outside of the CRD, the qualifying hours may be different.

If you are not reappointed for the next term, you will receive a Record of Employment (ROE) from the University. The ROE will show the number of insurable hours you have in the previous 52 weeks, as well as your earnings for the most recent 27 weeks prior to the termination of your employment. Note that if you are fired for just cause or if you quit, you are not usually eligible for EI benefits. However EI does give you an opportunity to provide information related to a termination of your employment, either by the employer or yourself.  Periodically mitigating circumstances can change your eligibility but not always.

How do I determine my insurable hours?

You should consult Revenue Canada to determine if you have accumulated enough insurable hours.

How much EI will I receive?

Generally, EI benefits are 55% of your average weekly earnings for the most recent 22 weeks (number of weeks for Victoria region) prior to the termination of your employment, up to a maximum $543. per week.

The length of time for which you can receive EI benefits varies, depending on your region and the number of insurable hours you have. For example, in Victoria, you can receive benefits for a minimum of 14 weeks (for 700 insurable hours) to a maximum of 36 weeks (more than 1820 insurable hours).

Besides offering EI benefits for people who are out of work, there are also EI programs for Maternity, Parental or Sickness benefits, and for Compassionate Care benefits. For more information, or to fill out a claim for EI benefits, contact your local Service Canada Centre (federal government offices), or check out Government Canada website


4163 Comp1 & 2 Collective Agreement old- PDF