Component 1 members (Teaching Assistants, Lab Assistants and Instructors, Scientific Assistants, Computer programmers, Teaching Assistant Consultants and others) met Wednesday to put the final touches on proposals for bargaining. The Component 1/2 Collective Agreement expired August 31, 2014.
Component 1 members expressed extreme frustration with their working conditions, including:
- TA wages consistently below similar jobs at other universities;
- Wages not keeping up with Tuition increases;
- Component 1 positions and hours being slashed while class sizes continue to increase;
- Reduced opportunity for Grad Students to gain valuable teaching experience;
- Less time to spend with each Student which negatively impacts the Student’s educational experience
Components 1 & 2 will be going to the bargaining table with the University of Victoria in the very near future.
Component 1 members will be kept up to date on the issues at:
Facebook: CUPE4163 Education Members
Facebook: UVIC TAs (CUPE4163)