CUPE 4163 Executive met June 30 to set priorities for the coming year. Picture from left front clockwise to right front: Jane Wodlinger– Vice President Component 1, Kayleigh Erickson – Communications Component 2, Julia Meyers – Communications Component 1, Steve Freeman – Vice President Component 2, Laurel Collins, Greg Melnechuck – President, Melissa Pritchard – Business Agent, Leann Dawson – Business Manager, Alex McLeod – Member at Large Component 2, Zack Draper – Secretary Treasurer, Joėlle Alice Michaud-Ouellet – Member at Large Component 1, Dave Dolff – Member at Large Component 3. Missing from the picture with regrets: Matthew Koch-Vice President Component 3.
The Executive would like to express great appreciation to David Huxtable who did a fabulous job of facilitating the session.
Focus of the meeting was:
- an updated website – scheduled to launch in Aug 2016;
- re-instating a Political Action Committee to target the Provincial Election May 9, 2017;
- create a Mobilization Committee with Terms of Reference (to be set by committee for approval of Executive Committee) The Committee’s work will include ideas for ongoing membership connection;
- Revise Orientation material for Member Orientation meetings at the beginning of the term;
- Building Steward (Liaison) network in all components;
- Steward training in all work group areas;
- Raise union profile with membership and public;
- CUPE4163 to participate in Victoria Pride Parade July 10; Victoria Labour Day Picnic September 5, 2016;
- Will ask members to provide “interest stories” for website and Facebook, ie. Member involvement in community organizations: this will profile CUPE 4163 members as well as their organization of choice;
- Member resource information for website, including quick references to collective agreement interpretation;
- A new agenda item will be added to monthly Executive meetings to monitor progress on reaching goals;
- Website and Facebook to profile organizations that CUPE4163 supports;
- Network with other academic CUPE locals and other academic unions.
CUPE 4163 Component 1 and 2 and the University of Victoria ratified the tentative settlement at the end of March 2016. Details of the settlement included:
- total compensation of 5.5% over a 5 year term plus Economic Stability Dividend http://www.uvic.ca/bargaining/cupe-4163-1-2/updates/current/2016-04-01-CUPE.php
- Inclusion into collective agreement improved conditions for Res Life workers who were organized December 2013;
- Protection from academic harm for Component 1 members who exercise their rights provided for in the Collective Agreement ;
- Improved transparency for appointments of TAs;
- Improved vacation pay for term teachers with 5 years and 4250 hours;
- Enhanced Extended Health Benefits for Comp 2 Regular employees;
- Term Second Language Teachers moved to Schedule 2 Regular Second language Teachers Pay Schedule
CUPE 4163 will be providing collective agreement information to members in the coming weeks and months.
March 18, 2016 — CUPE, Local 4163 (Components 1 & 2) and the University of Victoria are pleased to advise that they have reached a Memorandum of Agreement to renew the collective agreement. Details with be forthcoming after ratifications in the next couple of weeks.
CUPE 4163 Component 1 & 2 members will be receiving confidential information about the tentative settlement and details of the ratification vote as soon as possible
To send an email petition asking President Jamie Cassels to help CUPE 4163 get a fair agreement, go to the petition page.
Component 1 and 2 members voted 86.5% Yes in the Strike Vote that took place from Tuesday to Friday this week.
Your Bargaining Committee thanks you for this support as they continue to bargain, on your behalf, with UVic in hopes of reaching a fair and reasonable agreement.
We will continue to update you.
Your Bargaining Committee
This is your last day to have your say! Ballots will be counted Friday Feb 19, 2016 @ 6:30pm
Please see Polling Station locations below:
|Friday Feb 19th
|ALL DAY 10am-6:30pm
10:00am – 6:30pm GSS All Day
10:00 am – 11:30am BEC
12noon – 1:30pm UVic Centre
Bob Wright Bld
12noon – 2:00pm Continuing Studies (CST)